There existed in the square a primitive church from the XV century, and this was demolished after the construction of the new church had begun.
In 1723 when permission was given for the demolition of the old temple, the foundations for the new church were already laid.
The work was carried out by the stone mason Lazaro de Incera, although this was done under the supervision of two local master masons, Larrea and Erdoiza. The tower was not completed until 1745.
It is impossible to separate the church from the urban complex around it, the square.
In 2009 the square was renovated. During the progress of the work, an archaeological study was carried out which gave us some very important data regarding the earliest plan of the town.